confession number 1


Hello everyone

My name is Leonardo but everyone calls me Leo. I have been an English and Spanish teacher for more than 10 years and I think that being a teacher is a beautiful profession, which will not make you millionaire but it will bring you lots of advantages and experiences that a regular or normal office job won’t. 



Throughout my travels, studies, and experience in some countries around the world I have been able to attain what I hope to be a worldly and open-minded teaching perspective. In my efforts to further broaden and improve this perspective, I decided to join a top university such as the University of Nottingham.

I am convinced that a program like the Master of Digital Technologies for Language Teaching will train me to compete with other professionals around the world and it will give me outstanding qualifications and experience in language teaching that could be beneficial for any educational institution. My career objectives and personal interests require a program that allows me to understand, comprehend, manage, and apply digital technologies for teaching beyond the normal basis and requirements of today’s globalized and digital society.




This blog was born in order to reflect on how digital technologies can bring new practice into the classroom and outside the classroom in the interest of enhancing the learning of languages, in particular English. In the same way, this blog will describe and evaluate the use of different technological tools for language teaching by exploring new ideas and different theories given by the University of Nottingham, and will link them with the practice in my classes at the University of Finance and Economics in Nanchang 南昌, China.    




 The University of Nottingham is encouraging students to become independent learners but at the same time it is expecting, that as students, we will be able to build knowledge by interacting with our teacher, tutors and classmates. As a matter o fact, by writing this blog I will be able to describe, evaluate and respond to the experiences as a teacher and as a member of this scholarly community.
Moreover, sharing my understanding and experience with my counterparts will be beneficial to the modules, in the interest of creating knowledge by communicating our points of view with a critical position. In order to have a critical point of view, it is important not only to work with our teachers and lecturers but also to take responsibility as a learner and be prepared for the module by going through all the information that is provided.


With this in mind, being an independent learner requires a lot of discipline, organization and motivation. Handling my time between work, studies and personal life will be a challenge; one of the obstacles I will have to face is my schedule at work because it constantly changes. The second one is the internet connection since China has strict regulations about some important websites such as Google, YouTube, Facebook, blogs and some other websites that could be beneficial for the development of this course. The third barrier is the time difference between China and Nottingham and the rest of Europe as there will be times when setting meetings with tutors, lecturers and other learners could be difficult.  





Given this points, I will be posting all my observations, description and analysis of my process as a member of the University of Nottingham. I will give my best and hope you enjoy this blog as much as I will enjoy doing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sixth confession:  where there’s a will there’s a way.

Communication leads to community, that is, to understanding, intimacy and mutual valuing

11th confession: changing my classroom with Edmodo